General media pieces
- GOV.UK Verify programme “under review”. Publication pending October 2017
- Gov.uk Verify and identity assurance – it’s time for a rethink. Computer Weekly, May 2017
- Escaping waterfall government and the myth of ‘digital transformation’ Computer Weekly, March 2017
- Digital Economy Bill: About this data sharing plan… where are the safeguards? Ars Technica, 25 November 2016
- Whose personal data is it anyway? The Digital Economy Bill will move control of personal data away from citizens to the state. UK Authority, 17 November 2016
- CIO column. Some examples include:
- Making a success of digital government (Oct 2016)
- Trusting Brexit Britain (Sep 2016)
- Technology we can trust (Aug 2016)
- Technology’s role in the future economic and social wellbeing of the UK (July 2016)
- Rewiring Government for a Digitised World, IDG Connect, December 201
- November and December 2014: a series of extracts from our book, Digitizing Government, serialised in Computer Weekly:
- “A Tale of Two Countries: The Digital Disruption of Government“, with Marie Johnson, CAPAM (Commonwealth Association for Public Administration and Management), October 2014.
- “The great deverticalisation” series of articles written with Mark Thompson, Computer Weekly, January 2013 onwards
- “The implications of identity assurance for public services“, Computer Weekly, April 2012
- “One site to rule them all“, Holyrood, September 2011
- “Back to the future with government ID plans“, Computer Weekly, June 2011
- “Can the UK have its identity strategy back, Mr President?“, The Register, 17 November 2009
- “So what we do when ID Cards 1.0 finally dies?“, The Register, 19 June 2009
- “New models of security and privacy“, Financial Times, 12 Sept 2008
- “How technology can transform healthcare“, Health Service Journal, 9 April 2008
- “Beyond the blame game“, Computer Weekly, November 2005
- “Risks of poor design means huge potential security problems“, The Scotsman, 19 October 2005
- “LAN about the House”, IDPM Journal Vol 5 Issue 4, 1995
- Digitizing Government: Understanding and Implementing New Digital Business Models, with Alan Brown and Mark Thompson, 2014, Palgrave Macmillan.
- “Better for Less“, with Liam Maxwell and others, Network for the Post Bureaucratic Age, September 2010
- “Towards more healthy living”. In “Geographic Information 1991: The Yearbook of the Association of Geographic Information”, ed. J. Cadoux-Hudson and I. Heywood, 126-127. London: Taylor & Francis.
- “Tank Attack”. Originally broadcast on LBC Radio in 1994.